Community

Columbian Club installs Zivojnovic as president

Elmwood Park real estate broker Jonathan Zivojnovic stepped up to the presidency of the Columbian Club of Chicago at the organization’s annual installation gala. “I have served as president and chairperson for many other groups, and I must say that this is a role I have been looking forward to for many years,” Zivojnovic says. A member since 2008, Zivojnovic joined for the networking opportunity and quickly discovered that the club represented so much more. “The brotherhood and camaraderie among the members is like nothing else, and they do wonderful charity work,” he explains. In addition to working his way …

Read More »

Arcolians go to bat for UIC dentistry school

The Arcolian Dental Arts Society gave generously to the University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry at its holiday party at the Park Ridge Country Club on Dec. 1. Society President Dr. Frank Maggio and President-Elect Dr. Russell Spinazze (pictured, left and right) presented Dean Clark Stanford with a $2,000 donation to the college’s Group Practice Clinic Renovation Fund. The gift will help introduce new technology into the Group Practice Clinics. “We supported the school not only because we realize it needs financial help at this time, but more importantly, because the future of the profession is being created …

Read More »

Going grassroots

State Rep. John C. D’Amico is backing legislation to create an elected board for the Chicago Public Schools, and he is leading a petition drive urging politicians to take immediate action. House Bill 4268 would create a board of 13 elected positions from four different regions. The bill would ensure accessibility by requiring that 50 percent of the meetings be held after business hours, giving working parents an opportunity to attend. Currently, the Chicago Board of Education consists of seven appointed members. D’Amico will be sending out petitions throughout his district demanding that the General Assembly pass this legislation.

Read More »

IAET honors Onesti, Nicotera at standout gala

The Italian American Executives of Transportation held their 2015 Dinner Dance at Alta Villa Banquets on Nov. 22, 2015. Despite the snow, more than 600 were in attendance, making it once again one of the largest dinner dances of the year. The IAET honored Ron Onesti, president of Onesti Entertainment, as Man of the Year. A titan in the Italian American community and entertainment industry, Ron generously donates his time and talents locally while entertaining audiences across the country. Lou “Sonny” Nicotera was honored as Humanitarian of the Year. Sonny is one of the finest gentlemen you will …

Read More »

Ciminnesi honor Vito P. Cali

Società San Giovanni Bosco SS. Crocifisso di Ciminna honored Vito P. Cali as Man of the Year at its dinner dance on March 5 at Alta Villa Banquets in Addison. A longtime leader of the Chicago-area Italian American community and standout agent for State Farm Insurance, Cali served as the society’s first president. “We’re honoring Vito because of his contributions to our society and because of his accomplishments both professionally and within the community,” says society President Tony Napoli. The son of Filippo and Vita Maria (Campagna) Cali, Vito was born in Ciminna, Sicily, and came to America with his …

Read More »

Casa Italia honors Stefani’s Claudio Ulivieri

Casa Italia honored Stefani Restaurant Group Vice President Claudio Ulivieri as Person of the Year at its 2016 Gala on Feb. 20 at Alta Villa Banquets. When he started as a kitchen worker at Stefani’s on Fullerton Avenue, Claudio Ulivieri gave it one week to see how things would work out. After all, he’d just arrived from Italy, spoke little English and placed his bets on a restaurant that had been open only two weeks. In fact, Claudio postponed any pay until the Stefani family — Phil and his uncle Lino — graded his efforts. Little did anyone know that …

Read More »

Angelo Castanza Jr. elected president of CIAO

Angelo Castanza Jr. took over as president of the Calabresi in America Organization at CIAO’s annual installation dinner in November. Castanza was brought into the organization in 2001 by the indefatigable Joe Bruno. Once involved, he was hooked. “It is the one place other than my family where I feel I completely belong,” he explains. Castanza has risen through the ranks of CIAO officers over the last several years, and has served on the board of directors, advisory board and golf outing committee. He has played the part of Santa at the organization’s Christmas party since 2003. “I see my …

Read More »

Anthony Guida elected president of IALC

Anthony Guida took over as president of the Italian American Labor Council of Greater Chicago in January 2015. A member since 2007 and a director since 2008, Guida was drawn to the organization by what it represents and accomplishes, and the sense of family and charity that the organization fosters. “Our mission is to help Italian Americans succeed in labor and I feel that we do that,” he says. “It’s a great group of people who have a good time when we get together, and we enjoy helping other people like De Paul’s Labor Education Center, City of Hope and …

Read More »

MADD honors Rep. D’Amico

In recognition of his work to strengthen DUI laws, state Rep. John D’Amico received the Legislator of the Year Award from Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD), an organization dedicated to saving lives and preventing drunk driving fatalities. “Too many innocent lives across the nation have been taken by the careless decisions of drunk drivers,” D’Amico says. “As a legislator, I want to make sure Illinois enforces measures to help keep our families safe on the road and from having to endure the pain of losing a loved one from reckless driving.” D’Amico partnered with the Secretary of State’s office to …

Read More »

OSIA celebrates 91st annual Columbus Banquet

The Grand Lodge of Illinois/Wisconsin, Order Sons of Italy in America, celebrated its 91st annual Columbus Banquet on Oct. 10 at the White Eagle in Niles. Richard R. Della Croce, Columbus Banquet Chair and Master of Ceremonies for the evening, welcomed the guests and introduced the Grand Lodge Officers, honored award recipients and the Columbus Queen representative as they entered the hall. Highlighting the evening were the presentations of the 2015 Humanitarian Award and the Columbus Patriot Award. In addition, the Illinois Sons of Italy Foundation awarded nine scholarships to Italian American students who are continuing their education. Receiving …

Read More »

Want More?

Subscribe to our print magazine
or give it as a gift.

Click here for details